Monday, November 16, 2009

Step Aside, I'm Going to the Front of the Line

I recently came across a post at Political Realities entitled "Racism Aside Can We Just Be Civil". The article dealt with line jumping in a store, but the message was a much broader one on civil discourse and urging us to practice more civility toward one another. Of course no one can be against that, we should talk more and I understand where the author is coming from. How many times has someone cut in front of you at the store? Yes its a small thing and one quickly forgotten, but it is symptomatic of something bigger much bigger. Many groups and people in this country feel they are entitled to go to the front of the line, not just at the store, but at the work place and at the admitting offices at our universities, in fact everywhere we turn their are those who feel they are deserving of that spot at the front of the line. And if you don't step aside quietly then you will be shoved aside, by them or by their "Big Brother". So the question is should we be civil about this new discrimination and try to talk rationally to these line jumpers. The problem as I see it, is that for far to long we have remained silent and have only occasionally challenged those who would go to the front of the line. They really feel entitled now and guess what, we are to blame, yes its our fault! The time has finally come to put an end to this sanctioned line jumping, not the petty line-jumping in the store, but the line-jumping promoted and blessed by those on the American left. Frankly the line jumpers must be confronted and challenged and until we learn this, like the school bullies they will continue on their merry way to the Front of the Line!
One additional note the goals of the of author of the above mentioned post are the same as mine. It is only the method I disagree with. Things have gotten out of hand with the forces on the left feeling more emboldened and pushing harder and harder for even more draconian measures to insure their pet groups go to the front of the line and by doing that they are taking more and more rights from many Americans. This struggle against these forces will never be won by polite discourse as things have gone to far and those in power will not be moved by the soft talk of moderate voices. The log jam of political correctness run-a-muck must be blown up! I recall the quote of a great American, "Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue and extremism in defense of Liberty is no Vice" Barry Goldwater.

9 comments:

LD Jackson said...

Thanks for linking to my article, Ron. I just wanted to try to impress upon my readers that there are ways of handling things like what happened in the Wal-Mart store without resorting to a scuffle or charges of racism.

You make some very good points in your own article. The far left seems to be very emboldened, but conservatives have not helped themselves much at all. I think those two situations go hand in hand and until we gain some creditability in the eyes of the public, I am not sure how much we can accomplish.

Right Truth said...

I read that in the news, but you take it a step further. More PC crap that is ruining the west.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

Ron Russell said...

The terms far left, far right, conservative and liberal are often confusing to the casual observer and depend on the position of the one making the call. To me the American left are those attempting to change the meaning of the constitution if not destroy it. I view them as counter-revolutionaries who would undo the revolution of the founders. I see those of the right as the revolutionaries who seek to uphold the constitution and protect the work of the founders. I see those in the middle much like those in the middle during the American Revolution, neither patriot or tory, but sitting back and waiting to join the winning side. The middle will always, always go with the winner. They may not stay with them for long, because their loyality is to selfand family more than country. Something that is not entirely bad as family is paramount. This is my view from the right.

The Right Look said...

Great post Ron!

I'd say the first thing we need to do is get rid of all those nice little entitlements! It's produced a generation that thinks it has everything coming to it.

Very sad state of affairs indeed.

-j-
The Right Look

Ron Russell said...

The gimme generation is in for a shock at the rate we're going there will soon be nothing left to give----then what suckers!

Unknown said...

There is a general lack of respect in today's younger generation and I feel much of it comes from the "entitlement" mentality that the left has promoted all of these years, I am not saying that the parents don't share in the blame. People just don't think they have to earn anything any more.

Teresa said...

Great Post, Ron.
We are all created equal and we all have the opportunity to succeed in life. Why should some people be given a better chance than others? Employees need to hire people based on merits, and not based on race or gender. And, that goes the same for college admissions.

Ron Russell said...

As I said before Teresa, you are my gal on the right and always right on target.

Unknown said...

I see this problem with a lot of the young (just out of high school) people I work with. Some of them look at me in total shock when I say things like: "There are more important things than you and me." I think that all they have known is me me me. I hope that life experience will help some of them grow out of it, but I worry.